Saturday, July 2, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Greater Scaup

Here we go... Birbs of Saskatchetoon Sketchbook VOLUME TWO!

Not going to lie, half the time... or MORE... I have NO IDEA if I'm even looking at a Greater or Lesser Scaup. But every once in a while while I'm looking at them, it'll be like "OH! OH! That ones got a pointier hear! Must be a Lesser Scaup!?" or whatever... A couple times through May I was pretty sure I was looking at (or actually took a picture of!) a Greater Scaup, thus adding it to the book.

Greater Scaup in the Birbs of Saskatchetoon Sketchbook VOLUME TWO

Trying out a new format. The book itself is bigger, but I also thought I'd try doing them as two-page spreads (because the book CAN lie flat and can be done that way... But, it makes it super NOT square, though...

I don't know... one page or two...? This is what two looks like.. 

Also the paper in this one is a little less heavy as volume one - so it curls and warps a lot more (and ink tens to pool). Hasn't bled through yet... So, at least there's that.

This was done almost a week ago, but then we had some computer problems... Our computers been a little... twitchy for a while and so one Monday I thought I'd upgrade the OS - as it has been prompting me to do for AGES - thinking that may fix some of the problems we've been having - after checking that it COULD be updated (had space and memory requirements, etc). Took forever to install, then it said restart. It took forever to restart and eventually decided, nope, didn't want to do that. Install failed and nothing we could do seemed to do anything at all!? 

We got it into a service place on Wednesday and got it back Thursday and they were unable to fix it, so they just wiped the hard drive and installed the latest OS. No problem, we have everything backed up on an external drive... but when we started trying to bring stuff back onto the computer from the backup... there have been so many problems... all the permissions are screwed up and some stuff just wouldn't even load... 

For me, I lost my list of birds - I kind of had it in other places... sort of... but I had one "Master List" that had them all listed with the dates and locations I spotted them... I still have a list and the relative order I spotted them in and, from pictures can determine where I saw them and should be able to figure out the date... 

Ugh... computers... 

Here are a few of the pics I've taken that I am RELATIVELY certain are Greater Scaups... 



2 comments:

  1. The other day I saw a very dark mallard, which my friend determined was cross between a regular mallard and a black duck. It was almost black brown almost all over, with a very dark green head.
    Saw a few other odd ducks at the same park - like one that was mostly light colored with a couple of dark splotches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! I've not seen a hybrid (or if I did, I had no idea what I was looking at) so I looked it up! They look really interesting.

      Delete