Monday, July 25, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Cedar Waxwings

The fair-weather cousins of the Bohemian Waxwings we often see around here in the winter. The Cedar Waxwings summer here and head to much warmer climes for the winter! 

Ryan spotted a few high above us on the day we were walking around the Woodlawn Cemetary in June (when I saw the Red-Breasted Nuthatch), but I didn't get a clear enough look to add it to my list. It didn't matter a few days later on the 13th I spotted a few of them near a marsh, while on a ride south of town. I've seen a few more since (including a bunch I got pictures of yesterday!)

Cedar Waxwing in the Birbs of Saskatchetoon 2022 Sketchbook - Volume Two! 

This is the first one I saw this year. 

There was a second one with it, but it was slightly lower in the tree and obscured by branches...  

I took a LOT of pictures, as I usually do, in hopes that one or two out of the dozens I take actually turn out to be in focus and stuff. 

But so many of these turned out and I just couldn't choose.. 

So... photo dump... 

Sorry....

It is a pretty magnificent creature, though, isn't it...?

and it was so considerate to strike so many fabulous poses. 

This bird was a true professional and a delight to work with. 

The rest are a few of yesterday's pics... 

Also taken South of Saskatoon, not far from where I saw the first one. I have seen them elsewhere... but never close enough or still enough to bother getting out my camera. 

Not that these are all THAT still... 

but there was enough of them around...

and they were all quite close... 

So when one flew off... 

There was another quite nearby that I could take a picture of. 

Almost caught up. Five more to go... Maybe six...? 

1 comment: