Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Peregrine Falcon

 Tuesday, 14 June 2022 I was riding through downtown on the Meewassin trail and just as I passed under the broadway Bridge, heard an unfamiliar "Screeeee!" I looked up to see a bird of prey soaring about near the Renaissance Tower. It landed at the top of the apartment/condo building (24 stories up - until recently the tallest building in Saskatoon!). It stuck around long enough for me to get out the binoculars and camera and have a look and take a few pictures...

Peregrin Falcon in the Birbs of Saskatchetoon 2022 Sketchbook - Volume Two 

This is the Renaissance Towers. They were built in the early 80s and the shorter of the two is a hotel that was originally called the Renaissance Hotel. It was later the Ramada Renaissance. Now it's just called "Delta by Mariot Saskatoon" (or something boring like that...?). The taller tower, where I saw the falcon, is an apartment/condominium building and has kept the Renaissance name. Until recently it was the tallest building in Saskatoon. The funny thing is, the new tallest building has fewer floors - 18 to the Renaissance's 24!? Taller ceilings, I guess...? 

(this was not taken the day I saw the falcon, I took it yesterday because of the crazy clouds! Just wanted to include it here so you can see how high up this bird was - and maybe why it's so out of focus!) 

There it is... waaaaaay up there! 

Probably didn't NEED to include THIS MANY similar shots... ah, well... It's quicker than having to decide which ones to cut... 

2 comments: