Saturday, July 16, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Stilt Sandpipers

 Feeling a bit behind on these... this one is over a month late and I have FOURTEEN to do to get caught up!? 

Ah, well... 

Spotted these, along with a few other shore birds on Wednesday, 8 June 2022, at a wetland just west of town on 11th Street/Township Road 364 just past Highway 7. I wasn't 100% sure what these were at the time, but eventually figured out they were Stilt Sandpipers - with some help from my friend Ryan who actually knows birbs!

Stilt Sandpipers in the Birbs of Sasktachetoon 2022 Sketchbook - Volume 2! 

These are the birds I saw. 

Trying out the new camera... 

The lighting isn't awesome, but SO MUCH BETTER than my older, little camera! 

Too many...? 

I can never tell... 

There were quite a few of these little birbs. 

Slightly better lighting... 

You get the idea... 

Last one... 

For anyone interested, these are a few work-in-progress shots if you are interested in the current process... which changes as I play around with stuff and try to loosen things up.. lately I've been sketching things in very loosely with a thin pen (Koh-i-noor rapidograph 3x0/.25mm) then splash in a loose background doing one light layer, waiting for it to dry and then darker patches (this is Holbein Acrylic Ink) 

Then birb colours - couple layers there - waiting for things to dry... also Holbein Acrylic Ink. After that's mostly dry I go in with the final inking - done with Speedball pen and nibs (C-5) and Speedball Super Black - Super Pigmented Ink.

More sandpipers and a Willet is next... Ducks, a gull, other stuff... stay tuned... 

4 comments:

  1. Cool!
    Nice photos and art.

    Just yesterday I ordered myself some colored inks to play around with coloring some of my drawings some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay India Inks - they are supposed to be lightfast and waterproof once they dry. I guess the latter at least is similar to acrylic inks (I'm not too concerned about lightfast or archival). Also can be thinned with water like acrylics. Ages ago I used to use their watercolors that came in similar liquid form in dropper bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Sounds very similar to what I've been using. I've seen them around, you'll have to let me know how they work out! (and post the pictures somewhere!)

      Delete