Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchtoon - Blue-Winged Teal

 One last bird I spotted in the wetlands of the Northeast Swale on Wednesday, 18 May 2022 

Blue-Wingerd Teal in Birbs of Saskatchetoon Sketchbook


This is that first one I spotted.. just kept preening and preening and wouldn't stand in the Standard Birb Illustration pose... 

Or was too far to get a good picture of... 

And then decided to have a lie down on the shore and tuck its head compltely away... 

I did get a couple glimpses of details through the binoculars and made notes so I could figure out what it was. 

Came back to the same wetland a few days later and caught a few closer to shore - on the side I was on!? 

Male Blue-Winged Teal

Male and Female Blue-Winged Teals

Blue-Winged Teals - with a pair of Gadwalls...? I think...? 

(Gadwalls coming up next!) 


2 comments:

  1. Not very cooperative, eh?
    Nice paintings/drawings (here and the magpies)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks! I was joking with Amanda that I should do a whole book of birds from weird angles or folded up for sleep or preening themselves to help people identify uncooperative birds!

      Delete