Friday, June 17, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Grey Catbird

While chasing a Yellow Warbler around Riverlanding to get a good shot of it, Amanda and I heard and then spotted this chirpy-chatty bird hiding in a tree. Neither of us were entirely sure what it was, but we both took pictures and later figured out we'd been looking at a Grey Catbird. 

Grey Catbird in the Birbs of Saskatchetoon Sketchbook

this was the best picture I could get - though I did get a better look at it through the binoculars. 

Completely didn't notice these girls while I was taking the picture, who seem to have noticed me and were probably wondering why this weird, pervy old dude was taking pictures of them!? 

These are the pics Amanda took with the better camera... 

Elusive little bird. 

I spotted another a few days later - well I HEARD it first and then spotted in on top of a tree, but as soon as I stopped to get the camera out, in hopped down amongst the branches where I totally couldn't see it. I could still hear it chirping away, tough! 

The Birbs of Saskatchetoon 2022 (volume 1!?) is nearly filled. I have four more pages to draw/paint in and those will include the American Avocet, Clay-Coloured , American Wigeon, and Wilson’s Phalarope. There are another dozen or so birds I've spotted that need to get drawn/painted! I'm going to switch things up for Birbs of Saskatchetoon 2022 Volume 2 and use a larger book for the next batch. 

I've also already thinking ahead to next year!? Will I do a Birbs of Saskatchetoon 2023!? I don't know. One idea I had was to do a DAILY sketch diary of things I saw - which could include birds and other critters and/or plants or other stuff I've noted in my ramblings...? We shall see. It's a way off... 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment