Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Northern Flicker

One week ago, I was out for a ride in the countryside with my friend, Neil, and some movement in the corner of my eye drew my attention. I looked over quick enough to get the briefest glimpse of two Nothern FlickersDarting from a tree, deeper into a stand of coniferous evergreens...  

So, I didn't get any pictures of the ones I saw last week, but I do have a few from previous years... 

This one was in my yard - a DECADE ago - I was super excited because it was the first time I'd seen one in the city. 

This was just last year alongside the multi-use trail between Adolf Crescent and Circle Drive. 

Norther Flicker in the Birbs of Saskatchetoon Sketchbook. 

5 comments:

  1. Nice work!
    I get at least one flicker here every spring, head-banging on metal parts of my house. It can really startle me when it suddenly starts up. The first time I thought someone was up there with a power tool! I understand they do it as a sort of mating call or something, but I try to chase them away when they do that because I don't want my house damaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      That is fascinating! I've never seen or heard one do that! Not that I've seen THAT many of them.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, apparently they like the amount of noise they can get out of metal. ha ha

      Delete
  2. Terrific!
    Really enjoying the birds but unable to comment until now.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete