Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Painting From the Masters - Mignola's Hellboy

 Just kind of playing around here - trying out a number of different things….

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE Mike Mignola’s art. Occasionally I do like “painting from the masters”… and I have this gouache set I picked up ages ago and have been wanting to try out (because I also LOVE Elaine Will’s gouache paintings!) … AND I always wondered what inking someone else’s pencils would be like… AND I’ve been wondering if pre-cut 8x10 Strathmore 500 series watercolour paper would go through our laser printer…. Sooooooo…. 

Mignola posts LOADS of pencil sketches on Instagram, so I screen shotted a few and tried printing them out on pre-cut Stratmore 500 Series 8x10 sheets (which worked… but I probably should have edited them first cranking the contrast and black point so there was no grey in the background…) and then I tried painting it with the gouache paints… So it was kind of a paint-by-numbers from the masters, in a sense… tracing, yes, in the same sense that all inkers are “tracers”… (Ha-ha! My favourite bit of Chasing Amy - which is 25 years old this year!?  WTF!?)

I kind of like how it turned out. I mean, how could it not, tho. I’m tracing Mike Mignola’s art!? 


No, it is not for sale. 

No, I do not do commissions based on other people's IP. 


2 comments:

  1. I like how your coloring came out.

    I got some gouache paints a year or so ago, but haven't done much with them so far. I guess it takes practice and coloring someone else's art like this sounds like a good way to practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was kind of fun to try something a little different.

      Delete