Monday, January 17, 2022

Moar Magpie

 

It seems I was not done with Magpies... 

The first two were based on the one that went in the Birbs of Saskatchtoon Sketchbook. I did all the colour with holbien acrylic inks and, while I like the colour... I feel like I still didn't quite get either right... body shape... head... beak... BIRDS ARE HARD!? 

This was the first on 15cmx15cm watercolour paper. Teh blue is a bit TOO blue... 

O thought I'd try doing it again on a BIGGER sheet (30cmx30cm)... see if I could loosen up and get the gesture and shape right... but still not happy with that. 

bah. 

I was about ready to move on when I spotted a magpie and crow as hanging out on a power line/pole and took a few quick pictures and thought I might try a couple more paintings based on these. I was a bit happier with the results... I like how the colours and shape of the magpie turned out... Crow's a bit wonky. 

Crow and Magpie Confer

30cm x 30cm - Ink on watercolour paper. 

Magpie on Power Line 

15cm x 15cm - Ink on watercolour paper. 


Probably time to move on and get catch up on my list so far. Next is the Common Golden-Eye. Other birds I have spotted so far this year and need to make drawings of are; Mallard, Rock Dove (pigeon), Crow, Raven and Merlin! 


4 comments:

  1. I think the power line pics are particularly effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think the last pic of Magpie on Power Line captures the look of the magpie the best.

    ReplyDelete