Monday, January 31, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Common Raven

As mentioned in the previous post on the American Crow, I saw distant circling large black birds early in the year - but they were too far off for me to properly identify. Maybe someone who KNOWS THINGS could have... but not me. I finally identified both an American Crow and a Common Raven on the same day... through I forget exactly which day... it was in the first week or two of the year. I've seen a few more since then. 

I am getting a bit behind. 

This is the first bird i've drawn/painted for this project in flight. Mostly because all the ones I've seen so far this year have been in flight. Which is odd, because I feel like the majority of the Ravens I've seen in the past were always perched on something gronking away at anyone that would  care to listen....?

Raven in the Birbs of Saskatechtoon Sketchbook. I couldn't think of anything else to write in it... maybe I'll add something later.,,,? 

Raven in Flight - 20cmx20xm (8'x8"), Ink on Watercolour Paper 

For once I'm actually happier with the one in the book! I accidentally blobbed a bit of coloured ink in a spot where coloure was not meant to go... thoguht I'd lean into it and splatter some extra on there - for fun - I'm not sure it helped... 

Here are some pictures of a few of the Ravens I've seen. 

Raven and Crown on the ice under the Grand Trunk Bridge. Raven is taking off. 

Raven in a tree

Same raven taking off from the tree. 

Raven that I kind of tried to base my drawings on. 

Raven being chased off my Magpie.

That's it for now. Next on the list is a Merlin! 

Last Friday was a crazy spotting day, I spied a Downy Woodpecker and a White-Breasted Nuthatch - both in our yard (Amanda identified the Nuthatch... I wouldn't have known what it was!)! Then Hairy Woodpecker later in the day when we went to campus to swap computer parts. 

Oh I also saw another Raven on Friday morning - while walking to an appointment with Amanda on 20th Street. it swooped past before I could get my camera out though. Amanda didn't believe it was a Raven - until a few minutes later when we heard it GRONKing from a side street. I told her I knew because of the tail feathers (and that it's BIGGER than a crow! But Amanda has troubles with spacial awareness and estimating size...). When we got home I drew a quick sketch to show her the difference. Later in the day when we were making our way to campus ANOTHER Raven swooped very low right over top of us, going the other way down the trail! Amanda stopped and said "Ah, I see what you mean! THAT was a Raven!" 

4 comments:

  1. Nice
    I like the one in the book better, too.
    I think I've had a soft spot for ravens ever since reading The Hobbit when I was young, with the ravens near the Lonely Mountain that helped out the band of dwarves/hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has been a long time since I read the Hobbit. Read it once as a teen and again to my own kids when they were young. I can't specifically recall the Ravens? Did they help the find the keyhole? Or was is somewhere else? I shall have to dig out my book - you've intrigued me!

      Delete
  2. I know what Fitz means re the Raven. I have seen them at the Tower of London and they are noble birds indeed. Incidentally I too prefer the book painting.

    ReplyDelete