Tuesday, August 2, 2022

The Prince

 

The Prince

28cmx35cm (11x14) - Ink on Paper

Lately I’ve been kind of obsessed with the art of Eric Orchard (@Inkybat on Instagram and Twitter) I LOVE the miles and miles of hatching that creates both dynamic texture and value in his drawings. It kind of reminds me of what I was trying to do in some of the early minicomics I did in the mid 90s (except, y’know far more practiced and way better executed and… with COLOUR!) Got me thinking I should have a go at doing that again… 

The picture kind of just popped into my head last night and I thought about staying up stupid late and just doing it then and there… but it was already FAR TOO LATE and despite worrying I’d COMPLETELY FORGET the idea, I woke with it still in mind, and so that’s what I’ve been doing all day… The image in my head shifted to something very plain to something inspired by Vladimir Giurescu (from Hellboy) to something more like the denizens of Ulfenkarn from Warhammer Quest: Cursed City when if finally ended up on paper. 

(which reminds me… I should FINISH PAINTING THOSE miniatures and actually get around to PLAYING THE GAME!?!?) 

I had fun with this. I don’t HATE it, I may play around with this some more… 

I'd like to do character and NPC portraits like this... If I ever got around to playing Role-Playing Games again...

4 comments: