Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Gulls

 

Gulls have been back for a week or two now - and in greater numbers every time I head out. I have no idea what kind they are. Ring-Billed Gulls? California Gulls? Herring Gulls?! Could be any or all or something else entirely… I was going to wait until I could positively ID them before adding any to the Birds of Saskatchetoon Sketchbook… but I have no idea when or if that will ever be!? So I decided to just go hand and add a sketch of assorted white-headed gulls out on the river ice to the book. If ever I ID any I'll add an individual page for each that I do! 

I thought of doing a page like the SAY GAY ANYWAY GULLS.... but up close, like that, I'd feel like I'd need to add details that one might actually identify one type or another... so... distant view with vague details... 


2 comments:

  1. Nice work

    I don't have a clue how to identify the different species of gulls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I'm only just learning.

      Many of the differences seem minute to me and i wonder how ANYONE can tell them apart!? Looking at some of the pictures I took while Kayaking last summer - when we were right up close to the sandbars in the middle of the river where they love to hang out - I an make out some of the identifying markers on some of the gulls... so... I may figure it out yet!

      (don't hold your breath, though! Ha!)

      Delete