Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Canada Goose

 Since as long as I can remember, there have been Canada Geese that overwintered here along the river - often rather large flocks of them. So it was surprising to me that I didn't see ANY... ALL WINTER (so far!) this year! I finally spotted a pair on the weekend. I doubt they're migrants returning from a sunny vacation in Mexico... they've just been hiding...SOMEWHERE around here!? 

I almost didn't see these at all, I'd stopped to get a better look at a nearby duck I'd spotted from the bridge (It looked like it had a reddish head - but turned out to be a trick of the light or something, as it was just Common Goldeneye). These were completely hidden from view from the bridge, and even where I was standing on the trail they weren't super clear, because they just kind of blended in with the surrounding shades of grey... 

But there they were - a pair of Canada Geese! 

Over the weekend I got to working on a few illustrations... 

Quick sketch in one sketchbook... 

Then I got to working on a few more in other sketchbooks and on separate pages. 

I have a problem with not being patient enough to wait for things to completely dry before trying to do another layer or adjacent colour and almost always apply more ink/paint too early and RUIN things... 

I have this idea that if I'm doing MULTIPLE copies of similar things, maybe it will take me enough time to do the one colour on all of them that by the time I get back to the first one, it will be dry.... 

This rarely works out in reality... 

More colours. 

Not sure why that Bohemian Waxwing painting remains on the painting table... guess I just haven't found a better place to put it and was so focused on these others I kind of didn't even notice it was there... 

Story of my life... 

Finished version of Canada Geese in Birbs of Saskatchetoon Sketchbook. 

(head's a bit small on the one in the back... dammit...) 

Canada Geese - 20cmx20cm (8'x8"), Ink on Watercolour Paper 

Canada Geese - 30cmx30cm (12'x12"), Ink on Watercolour Paper 


1 comment:

  1. I do see them fairly regularly in my neck of the woods down here in Oregon. Sometimes in some pond or water feature; sometimes foraging on grassy areas in parks; and sometimes winging overhead. Just the other day I saw a solo one winging fairly high overhead, flying rapidly and directly as if heading to some important destination. Maybe the expression should be "as the goose flies". :)

    ReplyDelete