Friday, March 25, 2022

Gulls

Gulls are back in Saskatoon. I got excited about adding a new illustration to the Birds of Saskatchetoon Sketchbook… but then I discovered there are TWENTY THREE different species of gulls that have been known to inhabit or pass through Saskatchewan!? And many of them are remarkably similar. I have to admit, I’m finding extremely difficult to identify which ones are here - at the distance I’ve been seeing them at…

Regardless, they are back, and it is a sure sign many more migratory birds will be here soon.

They seem pretty bothered about some new legislation in Florida, though…? (Or perhaps that is just me, projecting…) 

Gulls Say Gay - 28cmx35cm (11"x14") - ink on paper

rough sketch in sketchbook. 

 

another rough sketch in sketchbook.


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Those pictures make me smile and laugh. Perfect.

    Yeah, I just call them all sea gulls, even though I know that's a colloquialism and not a scientific term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks! People call them SEA Gulls here, too - even though we are NOWHERE NEAR A SEA. I think Saskatchewan is about as far from a sea as you can be in North America!?

      Delete