Sunday, October 10, 2021

Not Dead Yet!

The downside of these Daily Drawing challenges is that as soon as I miss ONE day, my brain says" "WE HAVE FAILED!" and the motivation to continue just dries up. It is, of course, ridiculous.... But it's how my brain works... I'm TRYING to remember that it doesn't have to be ALL OR NOTHING - the "challenge" can be to see how many days you DO draw and post something. Maybe try to beat the number you did last year - achieve a personal best. 

Despite not posting any pics for the last few days, I have not been idle. It's not like I haven't drawn ANYTHING on any of these days I "missed"... I just didn't get to drawing anything that I felt like posting. Everyday that I HAVE posted something, I made notes about ideas, I took reference photos, I did MULTIPLE drawings - mostly just rough sketches to see if it MIGHT look on paper like it does in my mind... before doing a "GOOD COPY" that I was okay with posting! 

The days I didn't post anything, I did all teh other stuff... I just didn't get to doing a Final Copy or settle entirely on one idea or another... 

Here are some of those Preliminary Drawings and doodles and such... 

Day One - I just worked directly from an old photo 

Day Two - first sketch. 

Day Two - MORE sketching... 

Day Three - I started off with some sketches of myself as a turtle... without looking too hard at any particular turtles... 

Day Three - second page, sketching out the idea I would eventually draw for the final drawing. 

So many sketches for Day Four... Starting with just a rough sketch of the Arc de Triomphe 

More Day Four - sorting out the lay out of the pic and notes on Cheetahs colours and spot patterns. 

A Final rough drawing for Day Four

Day Five - Again, just working directly from an old photo I took of one of my bikes. 

Inspiration for Day Six had come from the fact that I'd actually been out riding earlier in the day on my Purple Karate Monkey. More pics can be seen on my Bike Blog!  

First preliminary sketch of Day Six - plus a drawing of an actually Western Painted Turtle I did the next day, because... well... I thought I could try and draw myself as a specific type of turtle... instead of generic green which doesn't actually, necessarily look like ANY real, living turtle... 


Another quick preliminary drawing for Day Six. 

Missed days... 

Day Seven's prompt was "Chiaroscuro" so I played around with some ideas involving cycling at night with heavy lighting - like from a car approaching from in front or behind or a streetlight overhead. 

While doing some of the preliminary google searches to get an idea of what Chiaroscuro even was, I came across La Fornarina by Raphael... and thought it would be fun to replicate it... but with Princess Carolyn from the Bojack Horseman TV series... 

Day Eight's prompt was "Line" which could have been a simple line drawing, but I was thinking start line or finish line or lines on pavement denoting bike lanes and ended up settling on picking a line down a steep descent - possibly through a rock garden... but never got to doing a good copy. 

Also, another Painted Western Turtle... 

Finally, Day Nine's prompt was "Gesture" and I was thinking of a person in an automobile making a rude gesture at a critter on a bike. Maybe it would have been a bird giving someone "The Bird"....

I didn't get to it as I went for a longer ride and then went out and did errands with Amanda. At one stop I through I'd just do gesture drawings of people going in and out of the store.. 

Initially, I thought she'd just be running in for five minutes... buuuuut in the end she was in there a LOT longer. (Like, over an HOUR!?). There were a lot more people that came and went... but I'd draw one... and then i'd wait for someone else... and then when I figured there woudln't be someone else I'd clean up the drawing and add some colour, but in the middle of that, like five. more people woudl suddenly show up and I'd just finish up the colouring and do the next one... but then no one would show up for five or ten minutes... ugh... 


No comments:

Post a Comment