Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Hummingbird!

A little further down the road from where the Grey Partridges startled me, I saw a hawk fly from one stand of trees, deep into another across the road. I stopped and though about getting out camera. It was just dawning on me that it was too late and that it was gone, when a small hummingbird went flying across the road in the opposite direction!? Also too quick for me to get out my camera - and too far off. In fact, it took a moment for me to realize what I’d even been looking at, it was so out of context. I’m pretty sure I’ve only ever seen hummingbirds at feeders, where they darted out of a bush, had a drink and buzzed off back to the bush. Flying as high as it was, and out in the open, my brain took a moment to realize it WAS a hummingbird and not the BIGGEST BEE I EVER SAW!? 

It was very likely a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, as I’m pretty sure they are the most common, if not the ONLY one we ever see around here in Saskatchewan… but it was far enough off, and so quick, I couldn’t really make out any details to say for sure what kind of Hummingbird! So I’m just calling it “Hummingbird” on my list! 

Hummingbird in the Birbs of Saskatchetoon 2022 Sketchbook - Volume Two! 


2 comments:

  1. Nice landscape. I like these different views of your birb-spotting. Sometimes you do only see them at a distance, without means at the ready to zoom in close. That's just part of the deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I had fun doing them.

      I think I'll incorporate more like this.

      It was actually my plan originally to do more of the setting in which I spotted the birds... but then realized there wouldn't be much detail to the birds... and I really wanted to work on doing birds! I'd hoped with the larger book and using a two-page spread for the second volume, things might loosen up and I could incorporate more background details... but then when I get to actually doing them, I'm not sure how to incorporate more... and still have a birb large enough to have fun with those details... ugh... too many decisions to make... which is why I fall into a rut of just doing things the same old way...

      Delete