Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Birbs of Saskatchetoon - Osprey

 We spotted one last new bird on the bike ride I went on with Keiran, Sunday, 22 May 2022.

We rolled down the Chief Mistawasis Bridge and along McOrmond Drive and into the Northeast Swale. Turning down the gravel road by the Wildlife Federation, a large raptor soared overhead, carrying some critter it was fixing to eat for lunch. It lighted on a power pole ahead of us and we stopped and had a good look at it through the good binoculars I'd brought along. The pics I took with the little camera I had were crap, but with the notes and sketch I made, we were able to identify what we'd been looking at when I got home! 

Osprey in the Birbs of Saskatchetoon Sketchbook. 

Osprey circling to find a place to munch on the snack it's carrying.

decided to stop on top of this power pole - where we got a pretty good look at it through binoculars. 

When we got close, it flew off to another pole....

,... because obviously WE were a big threat way down here on the ground!?

2 comments:

  1. They make some good books and rules...
    But seriously, cool to spot one of these, with lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was pretty excited when I told her, she said the only time she saw one was in the states. Another friend mentioned, when I posted this one facebook that a pair nesting near Martensville (bedroom community just outside Saskatoon) made the news. So I guess they're rare enough around here!

      Delete